Pavilion demolished after decades of fairs
February 28, 2018 - metal shoes
Members of a Fair Board and county officials had hoped to save a apportionment of a McLeod County Fairgrounds pavilion to embody with new construction when a landmark is rebuilt.
But it all came down Tuesday morning, with a difference of a apportionment kept as a chronological keepsake.
The strange structure was built between 1939 and 1942 as one of 3 Works Progress Administration projects during a former fairgrounds nearby 3M. When it was changed in 1993, to accommodate code, steel “shoes” were used to assistance reason a wooden beams in place on a ground. Those boots didn’t concede for a timber to dry out, and over time it run-down to a indicate where it was no longer safe.
Bids for a new structure will expected be sought in late March.
Look for a story in Sunday’s Leader.
— Jeremy Jones
More shoes ...
- Body scanner put to work at Lewiston airport A yellow box appeared on a screen as a […]
- Sole searching As most of us know the golf course restoration and irrigation business is booming. It is hard to find a qualified builder or irrigation contractor that has room in their schedule […]
- The old shoe factory Jack Klasey came to Kankakee County as a young Journal reporter in 1963, and quickly became hooked on local history. In 1968, he co-authored “Of the People: A Popular History of Kankakee […]
› tags: metal shoes /